Your wardrobe for your engagement session is just as important as the wedding day as far as showing off your personality and style as a couple. After all, this is the time to celebrate your engagement and announce it to the world! What you wear sets the overall tone and vibe of the session, whether you want casual classic, chic couture, or fancy formal flair. Whatever you do, dress to impress while still being YOU!
I get asked about what to wear all the time. Styling and planning out your wardrobe can make a world of difference, and when you find the right outfits, the happier you will be with your photos. Remember, classic is better than trendy:
1. Don’t leave details till the last minute. When we schedule your session, we’ll pick a location and style. Go ahead and start planning coordinating outfits. Send your ideas over if you’d like. I would be happy to take a look!
2. Dress to impress! – But choose something that reflects your personality. As mentioned before classic is always better than trendy. This will give you timeless photos that you will cherish for a lifetime.
3. Choose something fitting for the season that will make you feel beautiful.
4. Dresses are always a great choice. Solid-colored dresses are the best, but if you go with a pattern, make sure your groom doesn’t clash with a busy pattern too.
Have you ever thought of renting the dress of your dreams? You can from Rent the Runway. They have all sorts of designer dresses just waiting for you to rent for your engagement session. The best part…they will send 2 different sizes to ensure a good fit!
5. Don’t over Accessorize. Add at least one or two pieces into your wardrobe. A good pair of dangling earrings or necklace is great. Make sure it is not too sparkly. If you are wearing a braclet make sure it is subtle next to your beautiful ring.
6. Wear Subtle Color – Choose cool colors and neutral tones for spring and summer. Pastels are great! Choose warm colors for fall and winter. Avoid neon colors as they can cast this color on your face in photos.
7. For guys, a nice tailored suit or sports jacket is best. However, a nice pair of slacks or shorts with a nice button-up is great too. Stay away from turtlenecks that hide your neck area.
8. Complement each other, but do not match! It’s better to stay within the same color tones, rather than match colors. Avoid wearing the same solid colored shirt and jeans for example and if our partner is wearing blue, this doesn’t mean you have to wear blue in your outfit too. If you choose a pattern for your dress your partner should wear a solid color shirt or a not so busy pattern.
9. I recommend two outfits. One outfit can be more casual but not too relaxed. A nice clean pair of jeans with cute boots is fun for fall/winter sessions. A Summer dress for the girls and a nice pair of shorts for the guys in Spring/Summer.
10. Get your hair and makeup done by a professional – you’ll feel like a celebrity…and look like one, too! An experienced professional knows how to enhance your natural beauty for photos.
Here are some Professional Hair and Makeup Artists that I recommend: